Tuesday, April 1, 2008

The Orange Prize Project

Welcome to The Orange Prize Project. This reading challenge is a long-term project in which the participants will read all books that have won or been short listed for the Orange Broadband Prize for Fiction AND the Orange Broadband Award for New Writers. There is no time limit.

For those readers who want to go further than the short lists, I have also provided a list of the titles which appeared annually on the long list for the Orange Prize for Fiction. Reading from the long lists is not required, by could be viewed as "extra credit!"

You may participate solely on your own blog, or post to this one. If you are interested in participating on this blog, please send an email message to the me at caribousmom at gmail dot com. You will then receive an "invitation" with a link and further instructions.

Guidelines for Blog Participants:
  • Introduce yourself via a blog post, and tell us about any Orange Prize winners you've read previously.

  • You may post a review of each book you've read, even if it was a long time ago.

  • As you read more books, you may post a full review, link to a review on your own blog, or just create a brief post noting the title(s) read. It's up to you!

Labeling of Posts:

  • Always use your name as a label.
  • Use the label, "Progress" for reading list updates.
  • For each prize-winning book read, use the year won, the title of the book and in parentheses an "F" for fiction list or "N" for new writer list (for example: 2007 - The Lizard Cage (N) OR 2007 - Half a Yellow Sun (F)
  • For each short list nominee read, use the year nominated with the word SHORTLIST and in parentheses an "F" for fiction list or "N" for new writer list (for example: 2007 - Shortlist (N)
  • For each long list nominee read, use the year nominated with the word LONGLIST and in parentheses an "F" for fiction list (for example: 2007 - Longlist (F)

19 comments:

Sharon said...

Great idea! Thanks for hosting this project.

Wendy said...

You're welcome, Sharon :) Glad to have you here!

Juliette said...

Yes please Wendy, thank you for hosting this.

Lizzy Siddal said...

Now if you'd create an Option B - i.e reading just the winners, I'd love to join in!

Wendy said...

Lizzy,

You can always join "unofficially" just to read the winners :)

Lizzy Siddal said...

Oh goodie - I'm happy to be the "unofficial" gatecrasher!

Anonymous said...

Have just sent you an e-mail: great idea this and I would love to contribute

Wendy said...

Lizzy, let me know if you want an invitation to this blog :)

Juli said...

I've been wanting to read more women authors so sign me up. It will probably take me forever to finish but I have several on my shelf and have read a few on the long list.

Thanks! Juli

Whitney said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wendy said...

Whitney would love to have you join us. Please send me your email at caribousmom at gmail dot com and I'll send you an invitation to the blog.

Whitney said...

Thanks Wendy

Miss Kim said...

I love the orange Prize and have read quite a few, so I'd love to make this a pesonal challenge! May I join?
Here's my ongoing list:
http://wearebookworms.blogspot.com/2008/05/orange-prize-winners-and-short-lists.html

Anonymous said...

Sounds interesting...How did I miss the list?

Unknown said...

Sign me up! Judy

joanna said...

Sign me up too please!
http://lostinagoodstory.blogspot.com/2008/01/orange-prize-project.html

Debbie Rodgers said...

Orange Prize winners are pretty much new territory for me. I've read only three:
Digging to America by Anne Tyler shortlisted 2007
The Poisonwood bible by Barbara Kingsolver shortlisted 1999
and
Larry's Party by Carol Shields winner 1998

The first book I'm going to tackle is A Crime in the Neighborhood, by Suzanne Berne because I can't imagine how anything could beat The Poisonwood Bible!

Here's my initial blog post:
http://www.exurbanis.com/archives/3153

Thanks, Debbie

Bibliobabe said...

I posted a page with ALL current reading challenges. Let me know if you want me to add any other information about this one. I hope it brings even more readers to The Orange Prize Project!
Reading Challenges.

Rachelle (Bibliobabe)

TheBookAddictedGirl said...

Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog!
This looks like a great project, but I think I should probably get through my TBR pile before I take on any more projects. :)
Meg @ The Book Addicted Girl