Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Oranges, Peanut Butter and Shiraz

Well at least I now have book number 3 under my belt on my quest to read the 2008 Orange Longlist. I have a countdown clock on my blog which very helpfully reminds me that there's only 57 days to go until the winner is announced. Seemed like a good idea at the time, but now I feel its presence like a nagging husband in the passenger seat of my car (yes, mine does that too).


I hate to damn with faint praise, but I'm going to use the word "like". Because I did like it. But I'm afraid with the modern cannon of African literature we have at our disposal these days the bar is set very high so I can't honestly say that we have another Gordimer, Nwapa or Adichie on our hands. Good, but not good enough. Sorry ;-(

Right, I'm off to get stuck into "The Septembers of Shiraz" (do you see what I did, with the title of my post? Clever eh?). Send out a search party if you don't hear from me by Sunday.

2 comments:

Wendy said...

Very clever title, Sonia! :)

Sonia said...

Thanks - and thanks for the tip about the link!